Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Technobabble

Rugrat has been bugging me for a while now to teach him how to "build a website." I tried explaining that people study for years to learn how to build websites, and that it's not something he can just sit down and learn in an afternoon. But he just kept on bugging me.

So, today I built him a very, very simple website, while I talked him through the whole process. I showed him where to put text, how to add an image or a link, and how to build a table for layout. Since I'm a programmer, I showed him how to do all this by writing the code, not with some silly little point and click "web builder" software. We also created a simple background image to use on his site, and then created links to other pages. So it was a pretty thorough introduction to web developing.

And as if that's not enough, I set him up with a Gmail account and pointed him in the direction of Blogger. He figured that out all by himself (it really is foolproof), and set up a blog called Lizze's News (Lizze is his pet lizard's name). Take a look and be sure to leave a comment - I'm sure he'd be thrilled to find out people are visiting his blog!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I love your sons spelling on his blog :) priceless!

Anonymous said...

I am having a google/blogger dispute right now - it thinks my password is different to what I think it is.

I was trying to leave a comment on the June 23rd entry of your Rugrat's blog.
You can tell him I think he has a great blog there! AND, you could tell him my comment below or insert it.
As follows:
That wasn't very nice of the store owner. Maybe they did not want to have Lizze leave the store with you.

Sounds like a good game. When it is finished you could also sell it to the store owner.

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca