Friday, April 10, 2009

Mirena

Anyone out there used Mirena before? I just got it, uh, "installed" on Tuesday. I had discussed it via email with my gyn a couple of months ago, when I was still employed & still planning to get married in October. I was hoping that the lower dose of hormones, delivered locally rather than systemically, would eliminate some of the things that I hate about birth control pills (the moodiness, the monthly bloat, etc.). I figured I'd get Mirena when I went in for my annual exam, which falls in April. Even though we've moved up the wedding I still thought it would be a good idea to get it now.

I'm rethinking that decision.

I've had it for three days now, and although the spotting has basically stopped, I am still getting intermittent cramps. Some of them are really bad, much worse than I get with my period - and they're mostly in the lower-right quadrant of my abdomen, not generalized in my abs/lower back like period cramps usually are. It's definitely worse when I am driving or have been driving recently. Something about sitting up in that position, instead of the semi-reclined position I'm usually in on the couch, is really aggravating things.

So I'm wondering: if you've had Mirena before (or have it now), how long did the cramps last? Should I be concerned?

And another thing - we've been waiting to resume, ummm...relations. The doctor said to wait three days. It's been three days. But quite frankly I'm a bit scared because I'm worried that any jostling or, you know, rhythmic abdominal contractions (*cough, cough*) could result in serious abdominal pains. It would be ironic to get 99+% effective birth control only to find out that it acts as a deterrant to the one thing that could result in pregnancy.

So...Mirena. Discuss in the comments, please! Or email me, if you prefer.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I have had an iud for the past 5-6 years, not a mirena (i didn't want any extra hormones) and love it. Mostly forget it is there. Had some issues when it was first put in, same as you, but they abated. I am not sure they were not brought on by my own nerves. After a couple of days I forgot all about it and it's been smooth sailing since.... Stick with it, unless you are feeling extreme pain, and you will probably be happy you did.